Thursday, November 10, 2011

Face-off Friday Music Edition: Why Don't You and I by Santana

To switch things up a little on you I decided to feature my normal Face-off Friday from Drug of Choice Beauty on DOC Music today and have a little extra fun with it. Enjoy!

This one stumped me a little bit. I don't know a lot about label politics but I imagine it had something to do with this switcheroo. Years ago I heard this awesome Santana song featuring Chad Kroeger from Nickelback and fell in love with it. Fast forward a few months and I was hearing the same song on pop radio with the vocal stylings of Alex Band (formally of The Calling, now a solo artist). I love Alex and The Calling so I like this version of the song just as much. I'm not sure what happened but now we have two versions to enjoy of the song. Now all you gotta do is decide which you like more. Do let me know.

Chad Kroeger-


Alex Band-


I have to say that even though I heard the Chad Kroeger version first (and got pretty sick of hearing the Alex Band version 200 times a day) I still think I like the Alex Band one better. Alex is just a phenomenal singer with such a huge range for a man, he can go deep, he can go high, he can do it all. Plus, he's freaking adorable with his blonde hair and scrawny frame. Chad seems to be a little more one-note and have you noticed that every SINGLE Nickelback song has the exact same melody? Well, I take that back. There are two melodies, one for the rock hits and another for the poppier slowed down songs. So weird and frankly a little sickening that people fall for it every time and don't realize that it's so similar. Same goes for Santana. There, I said it, I've heard much better guitarists than Santana (Zoltan Bathory from Five Finger Death Punch, Zakk Wylde from Black Label Society) that don't need to look at the guitar to play LOL.

What do you think? What's your favorite version of this song? Agree or disagree with my critiques of Santana and Nickelback? I'd love to hear your opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment